Glass Plate Stand
Are you looking for a resourceful way to make a plate stand, or display stand for your fused art work? These creative designs can be made to compliment the piece, or made out of clear glass to keep the attention on the fused glass.
Since these stands are not fused to the base piece, they can be made out of any type of glass, even if it is not compatible to the piece you are displaying. To keep the cost down, try making them out of float or window glass. This is a fantastic way to use up some scrap glass. There are two different suggested stands mentioned on this page.
Scrap Glass Stand
This simple project is an impressive way to use up all that scrap glass or inexpensive window glass. It is a sturdy stand for cradling and keeping your fused bowls safe. These can be made in any size desired and only require a few items. They don’t have to be straight cuts either. Try making them uniquely yours for your exclusive irreplaceable treasures.
GlassGlass cutterCutter oilSoap and water or glass cleanerKilnPrepared kiln shelfPrepared Mold
1. Measure and determine size of desired stand.
2. Cut 3 pieces of selected glass about ¾ inches wide using the glass cutter and cutter oil.
3. Clean pieces using soap and water or glass cleaner to remove any cutter oil residue and fingerprints.
4. Holding pieces by the edge, arrange them so that the corners over lap. They should be placed in a triangle shape.
5. Place glass on prepared kiln shelf inside kiln.
6. Turn on the kiln and fuse to a full fuse.
7. Cool and anneal pieces.
8. Once cooled to room temperature remove glass.
9. Invert glass and place on top of an appropriate size mold prepared with kiln wash. You will be slumping the glass into the mold.
10. Place mold with glass inside kiln and heat slowly until the piece has slumped into the mold.
11. Anneal and cool to room temperature.
12. Once cooled remove the piece from the mold.
13. Clean off any kiln wash residue.
Turn the piece over and rest you fused bowl inside the opening. This triangle holder has steady legs, which creates a safe and solid stand for any master piece. These scrap glass stands can be customized for each project.
Glass Plate Stand
If looking for a flatter upright glass plate stand, try this idea. This upright plate stand can also be made out of clear float glass or a color that compliments the art work. Making the piece out of clear glass will not only bring quiet attention to all your projects, but allow natural light to shine through the piece.
Glass (clear or colored) Glass cutterCutter oilSoap and water or glass cleanerPrepared concave moldKilnPrepared kiln shelfPermanent markerGlass saw or dremel
1. Measure and determine size of stand desired.
2. Cut glass using the glass cutter and cutter oil.
3. Clean piece using soap and water or glass cleaner to remove any cutter oil residue and fingerprints.
4. Place glass on top of an appropriate size concave mold that has been prepared with kiln wash.
5. Place mold with glass inside kiln and heat slowly until the piece has slumped into the mold.
6. Anneal and cool to room temperature.
7. Once cooled remove the piece from the mold.
8. Clean off any kiln wash residue.
9. Place item to be supported inside stand and using the permanent marker, mark where the appropriate hold spot should be located.
10. Using a glass saw or Dremel tool, cut small notches into the glass where marks have been made. Notches should be the thickness of the glass that is going to be supported.
11. Place fused piece into stand.
Return from this page to one of the following pages:
Glass Art for Beginners
Glass Plate Stand to Glass Fusing Made Easy