Turkey Dinner Platter
Here is a recipe for making a turkey dinner platter pin. Unlike the millions of recipes on the internet for Thanksgiving dinner, this turkey is made out of fused glass and is of course not edible. It can however be added to other projects like a turkey platter, etc., or make a few pins to hand out to your family on this special day.
Like the traditional turkey centerpiece, this pin will take center stage in comments and appreciation for receiving it as a gift. Let someone else do the cooking this year. Spend more time with family and friends and less time in the kitchen with this fast and easy turkey design. Cook up plenty, because they will definitely go fast.
MaterialsBrown body glassGrey platter glassWhite leg covers glassPatternBeeswax or Chap StickGlass sawGlass Cleaner choiceBlack Glassline paintKilnPrepared kiln shelfProtective glassesTwo part EpoxyPin Back
1. Draw and cut the design.
2. Set the parts on the right color glass and draw close to the model with a permanent marker. Generously cover the drawing with beeswax or Chap Stick.
3. A glass saw is required to cut out the design. Follow near the line to preserve the shape and all the tiny details.
4. Bathe the pieces with dish soap and soak in clear water or employ glass cleaner to strip off all markings and scum. Dry the objects.
5. Arrange the pieces on a primed kiln shelf and place the shelf in the kiln. Be sure to grasp the glass by the border to avoid fingerprints. 6. Use the Glassline paints to add details to the turkey and paper leg covers.
7. Close the top or access. Start the kiln.
8. Watch the task at close to 1325 degrees Fahrenheit. Whenever peeping at your projects wear glasses with IR and UV protection.
9. Once the project has the sought after appearance, shut down and disconnect the kiln. If the kiln is made with heavy fire bricks, you can let it cool off by it’s self. On the other hand if it is assembled with ceramic fiber, the kiln must be kept on and monitored so that it does not cool off more than about 300 degrees Fahrenheit an hour.
10. As soon as the temperature goes down lower than 100 degrees Fahrenheit, the oven may be opened.
11. As soon as the glass has cooled to room temperature, you can add a pin back. Stick on the pin back with a two part epoxy.
Turkey Dinner Platter Pattern
Return from this page to one of the following pages:
Turkey Dinner Platter to Glass Fusing Made Easy
Fused Glass Patterns