Open Valentine Heart
This pattern is for an open Valentine heart design that can be made out of scrap glass. The vintage heart shape has an opening in the center of the design. This isn’t easy to achieve with out the usage of a special saw blade, but by cutting and overlapping some pieces you can still achieve the same look.
I love the shine and glitter of dichroic, so that was my material for this dichroic heart. Simply use the pattern below and overlap the pieces to achieve an open heart look. You will want to make plenty, because this glass heart design is very popular.
Materials:PatternHeart glassGlass cleaner of choiceChap Stick or BeeswaxGlass sawFiber PaperKilnPrepared kiln shelfProtective glassesTwo part EpoxyPin Back
1. Trace and cut the design.
2. Place the sections on the appropriate tint glass and sketch around the design with a permanent pen. Liberally shelter the traced design with beeswax or Chap Stick.
3. A glass saw is needed to cut the outline. Make a point of cutting on the shape to retain the outline and all the meticulous particulars.
4. Launder with dish soap and bathe in plain water or employ glass cleaner to delete the pen marks and scum. Dry the objects.
5. Arrange the portions on a ready kiln ledge and arrange the shelf within the kiln. Be sure to grip the glass by the rim to prevent fingerprints.
6. Close the lid or access. Activate the oven.
7. Watch the job at close to 1325 degrees Fahrenheit. Whenever gazing at your fused glass put on glasses with IR and UV protection.
8. Once the glass has your sought look, shut down and disconnect the oven. If the kiln is manufactured with thick fire bricks, you can let it cool off by it’s self. If however it is assembled with ceramic fiber, the oven must be left on and supervised so that it does not cool off any more than approximately 300 degrees Fahrenheit per hour.
9. When the pyrometer drops underneath 100 degrees Fahrenheit, the unit can be opened.
10. When the project has cooled down to room temperature, you can add a pin back. Adhere the pin back with a two part epoxy.
Open Valentine Heart Pattern
Return from this page to one of the following pages:
Valentines Day Pins
Open Valentine Heart to Glass Fusing Made Easy
Fused Glass Patterns