Mom and Child
There is such a bond between Mom and Child. Even before birth the relationship between mother and child is formed and grows deeper throughout the years. What a suitable Mothers Day Gift for any mom. This pattern seems to emulate the very meaning of the word motherhood.
The child shape is smaller and placed over the heart area of the mother, and brought to only a tack fuse to keep the details and depth of the piece. Use a small piece of clear glass frit under part of the head to keep the shape of the design and to keep the head from slumping down.
It can be made out of any glass you prefer. I have chosen to use crinkle dichroic glass for my project. It has such depth and character, which seems to draw even more attention. This particular glass is very light weight, which makes it ideal for a pin or brooch.
Materials:PatternMom glassChild glassClear glass fritGlass cleaner of choiceChap Stick or BeeswaxGlass sawFiber PaperKilnPrepared kiln shelfProtective glassesTwo part EpoxyPin Back
1. Trace and using scissors cut the shape.
2. Put the parts on the fitting colorful glass and draw about the guide with a permanent marker. Liberally plaster the drawing with beeswax or Chap Stick.
3. A glass saw is considered necessary to cut out the outline. Cut close to the line to retain the figure and all the minute fine points.
4. Bathe with dish soap and rinse in clean water or employ glass cleaner to do away with the drawings and scum. Air dry the items.
5. Put together the pieces on a primed kiln ledge and arrange the shelf within the kiln. Be sure to grip the glass by the side to prevent fingerprints.
6. Shut the lid or access. Start the oven.
7. View the job at around 1325 degrees Fahrenheit. When looking at your fused glass wear glasses with IR and UV shield.
8. When the project has your specific sought after appearance, switch off and unplug the kiln. If the kiln is manufactured with thick fire bricks, you can permit it to cool off on its own. If however it is assembled with ceramic fiber, the kiln must be left on and observed so that it does not cool off more than approximately 300 degrees Fahrenheit an hour.
9. As soon as the temperature drops lower than 100 degrees Fahrenheit, the unit may be opened.
10. As soon as the piece has cooled down to room temperature, you can add a pin back. Adhere the pin back with a two part epoxy.
Mom and Child Pattern
Return from this page to one of the following pages:
Mom and Child to Glass Fusing Made Easy
Fused Glass Patterns